MAKING MOVES is now accepting performance applications!
MAKING MOVES, a monthly gathering, promotes and celebrates local choreographers, dancers, and movement makers. One night a month Kansas City dance makers, dancers, and dance enthusiasts gather at Charlotte Street’s Capsule to support local choreographers, performance artists, and dance companies as new work is shared, discussed, and experienced. These events are curated via application, with each month’s event centered around a different dance experience. Curated by Kyle Mullins, this monthly event aims to simultaneously build the dance community from the inside while building bridges the community. MAKING MOVES’ mission is to build bridges and connections within Kansas City’s dance community as well as to both existing and new dance audiences. Events vary from informal to formal and take place outside the confines of traditional performance venues, allowing for new and deeper connections to the community.
We are currently accepting applications/proposals for the following performance events:
3. THURSDAY, MARCH 14TH: Dance Company/Choreographer: TBD A formal showing of work(s) by an individual choreographer and/or local dance company. Length of work can vary from several shorter works to evening-length. Application based.
4. THURSDAY, APRIL 11TH: Global Dance Forms While dance makers working in non-Western concert dance forms are encouraged to apply for any of the events throughout the year, this evening will highlight those working in dance forms outside of the traditional Western concert forms (ie Bharatanatyam, Flamenco, Irish Step, West African, etc.) Each work to be no longer than 8 minutes in length. Application based.
5. THURSDAY, MAY 9TH: Movement Experiments Movement Experiments invites movement makers to push limits, to try new methods of creation, and to blur boundaries between dance and _____. This showcase will end with a discussion with presented choreographers.
6. THURSDAY, JUNE 13TH: Dance Film Festival A curated evening of dance films created by dance makers both local and national. Application based.
9. THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH: Works in Progress “ Works In Process” features work by local choreographers, highlighting the early stages of the creative process. This informal showing is to be followed by Q&A and discussion with the audience, providing feedback from the community to increase dialogue between audience and artist. Each work to be no longer than 8 minutes in length. Event and discussion to be moderated by selected community professional. Application based.
11. THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14th: Dance Company/Choreographer: TBD A formal showing of work(s) by an individual choreographer and/or local dance company. Length of work can vary from several shorter works to evening-length. Application based.
Please provide a description about your proposed work of up to 1,000 words. Indicate whether you are wanting to show a single piece (10 minute max), a mid-length work (20 minute max) or a full evening/repertory concert. Provide relevant links to your website, vimeo page, etc.
For more information visit: https://cercatrovadance.com/makingmoves/
Questions? Please email Kyle at firstname.lastname@example.org